Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Stash flash!


New stash!!! The results of my Knit Picks Cyber Monday Sale purchase, a major online Stash Enhancement eXpedition. I almost didn't, but I couldn't resist. 



First, I was just going to get the Suri Dream Alpaca for the Craftsman Afghan I had planned a while ago. The pink/red/orange scheme doesn't go with our home so much, and some of the colors aren't produced anymore. So I went with blues and greens: Aegean, Atlantic, Fern Heather, Blueberry Heather, Natural and Black.


I kept looking at how much I had to spend before getting free shipping, and thinking about how much I was saving (because that totally makes up for sort of unnecessarily buying more yarn, but....). How could I resist buying discounted yarn for a few more projects? It's not like I was randomly buying yarn....it had a purpose!


So I got Wool of the Andes in Pumpkin for the Creature Comforts Cardi, since I've been in love with it since it came out.


And then I was really close, so I figured I may as well go for the $50 purchase to get free shipping. I added two skeins of Wool of the Andes Bulky in Porcini to make the Mittenscarf - perfect for the cold Montana winter, right? And so cute. Provided the airline lets me take needles aboard (it is technically allowed, but left up to the individual agent's discretion), it will be my holiday travel knitting.

My plan is to modify the pattern slightly, as I would like convertible mittens, the kind where the top flap buttons back so your fingers are free to drive or use an iPhone or so forth.


Finally, five skeins of Comfy Worsted in Pomegranate to make the drew sleeveless top. I've never really done any summer knitting aside from the failed bikini, so I thought this might be a good way to start. I love the gorgeous red color - it will go with I think two or three of my summer skirts, plus my dress skirts and suit, and of course any jeans or shorts really. I just love the ruffle details. I'm noticing in my queue that it is the small details like that that usually get me...ruffles, hardware, subtle shaping, etc.

The half-felted bag is coming along nicely. I've finished the front and back of the bag and sewn it together. I also completed the two loops. I didn't make it in time to felt them here as our laundry day was yesterday and I was seaming the bag until after 10! So I'll take it with me to CT and felt it there. The chain arrived yesterday, too, and it is perfect - sturdy and heavy. I'm hoping the rest of the hardware arrives in CT by the time I do! I know the Chicago screws have shipped, so it's just the lacing then.

I haven't done anything dissertation-related today, so I'm going to do that to assuage my guilt. I did make an awesome pickle soup for lunch and started looking at slow cooker recipes thanks to an early Christmas present. (Thanks Mom!)

Of course I really want to be knitting. I keep telling myself that once I finish writing these last two chapters and start submitting post-doc apps, I can focus solely on knitting and yoga for a good six months. But the less disciplined side of myself (not so much a half, but about 80%) doesn't want to wait. Besides, it's perfect knitting weather - grey, cold and snowy/sleety/rainy.

No comments:

Post a Comment