Monday, June 28, 2010

First day

I think this will be the most boring of the driving....not that it wasn't pretty. There was some nice scenery as we headed out of New Jersey on 80W. But once out of Pennsylvania, it was flat, flat, flat, which bores me to no end.

We pushed a bit and made it....not as far as we would have liked....but to Springfield, OH where we checked out the less expensive hotel options. They were totally sketchy. Like the place in Davenport, Iowa where we stayed last year....well, I guess I didn't write about it, but it was horrible. The pool was filthy, food wrappers everywhere, the smoke detectors were disconnected in my room, there were no toiletries and the woman at the counter was super cranky when I asked for some....and I read some awful reviews involving drug trade at this particular place and people walking into a room splattered with blood. Not a good night. So last night we opted for a slightly nicer option and it was worth it. Even $10 can make a difference.

We ran into a lot of bad thunder and rain storms on the way, once into Ohio. After checking in, we went across the parking lot to Cracker Barrel (of course) for a tasty meal. And we just made it back into the hotel before it really started coming down again. Poor DB had to run back to the car for his contact solution....and was drenched.

Storms aside, it was a fine trip. We got decent mileage though the hills killed it a bit. About 40 mpg. The SRS light has gone back off, after coming on briefly yesterday morning. I got some knitting in while DB drove, so maybe some day I will finish this baby blanket!

Today we are heading for St. Louis. It will be about a 6 hour drive....my plans include hanging out at the pool so far. Hopefully we'll have good weather, although here it looks gloomy and soggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment