Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day Two - Part Two: Sand Mountain and the Pony Express

The second stop of Day Two was not too far from Grimes Point. It was at Sand Mountain, a large, sometimes musical sand dune resulting I think from the particles and sand from surrounding, drying up lakes being carried by wind and then dropped by the mountains around it.

It was pretty cool, though we didn't hear it singing as it sometimes does while we were there. We did see a few off road vehicles racing up and down though. (Note the awesome look I donned on Day Two - peasant skirt and grey straw fedora...not sure it worked in the fashion sense, but it helped with the sun at least.)

A little ways down the road from Sand Mountain are the remains of a Pony Express station, including telegraph room, stable, tack room, living quarters, etc. It looks like little more than the foundation and a few feet of wall right now (apparently not due to time, but people climbing on it!), but it is interesting nonetheless.Lots of potential little creatures around there in the desert, including snakes, scorpions, more salamander lizard things and probably more. There were even a bunch of flowers blooming here and there.


From there we continued on our way along the Loneliest Road, not stopping for a really long time, until Ely, for lunch. More pictures from the Loneliest Road and Great Basin are to come!






In the meantime, here's an album of them all, though sans my scintillating text.

Today we are heading south toward Salt Lake City, then the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone (we hope). Weather will be interesting- sun/thunder showers in Utah, high 70s, and then snow and rain in the Tetons and Yellowstone, 40s and 30s! Good thing I have that long underwear. I'm not sure what internet access will be like there, so updates the next few days may be a bit sporadic. I'm also not entirely sure I will have reliable cell phone service, for those of you trying to reach me or expecting a call!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Barb,
    I'm following your travels daily. I love your prose and the pics are great. Fix the link though. I want to see more.
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete