Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Knitting after cables

I finally started on the kasimiya no boushi for Kevin. I think I mentioned, or not, that it's a 3x3 rib pattern for 9-1/2 inches (about 24 cm). It's been feeling like forever, already. And really, I've only been working on it in this incarnation since Saturday. It's Wednesday. I knitting nearly all day Saturday, all day Sunday and all day today - snow day!

Hurray! It was just as great as I remembered from my school days. Snow days do need to happen more often. They - and snow - are nice reminders that we need to slow down a bit in our lives and that we are not always in control, and that is okay. That's definitely a reminder I need more often, from the weather or otherwise.

I have on my counter that I've done 24 rows, of 90 in the pattern, though I'm going to go more by measurement than row count anyway. Partly that is because I am certain I must have forgotten to turn the counter at various points, because I must have done more than 24 rows, working on this hat for 3 days, plus a few evenings! I must have! I have just over three inches right now.

Okay, after doing cables, with all the variety of using the cable needle every few rows and the twisting, turning, trickiness of it....a three-by-three, knit, knit, knit, purl, purl, purl is dull, dull, dull. Right now anyway. I can't imagine if I went back to a stockinette pattern after cables. *Shudder* I'm sure I will get re-accustomed to less exciting knitting patterns. I have to, right? Well. I suppose I can decide, but so many lovely patterns do have long, dull parts. I can't cable all the time....

I am enjoying working with this yarn. It is SO soft. The double stranded thing I'm doing....I'm not totally seeing the colors of the fingering coming through that much, but maybe the larger effect will be more noticeable. The knitted fabric is so soft though. Maybe that is slowing me down, too - touching the work all the time!

Anyway, after sleeping until 10 this morning, I'd better try to get to sleep soon tonight since I'll have to make an earlier start tomorrow to clear a foot of snow off my car and make it to work on time. I certainly do not trust the plowing and snow removal around here to do a good job, and I definitely do not trust the other drivers. (DB said he may make an effort to help me get out the driveway at 8:15 a.m. Ha! We will see....though it would be appreciated.)

No comments:

Post a Comment