Monday, March 15, 2010

Kaeru, kaeru, kaeru*


Well, hello there cashmere yarn. We meet again.

Only this time I have size six knitting needles. Take that, yarn!

Okay, I know it's not the yarn's fault. It's lovely, soft cashmere yarn in two beautiful colorways I wound together in a ball as I ripped, ripped, ripped that hat. There's actually nothing wrong with the yarn, and I doubt it has consciousness, much less evil intentions.

Again, another warning against making knitting decisions after a concussion: "Let's put these two purty yarns together! Hmmm....the fingering is so small that adding it to the DK yarn, well, it's not much bigger, so I'll just knit it on size 3s. It really doesn't add anything! No gauge check for me!"

Not a problem was putting the two colors together. They complement one another and create a nice rich tone with green-blue lowlights.

The problem, to anyone else in the world who knits, is putting together two yarns and figuring that their combined weights will not equal more than any one of them alone. Okay, that will make sense to anyone who understands basic arithmetic. 1 + 1 does not equal 1. Likewise, Fingering Weight + DK Weight does not equal DK Weight. It's really more like worsted.

To top this off, I know I am a tight knitter. (Result of anxiety. Hypothesis: Post-dissertation and graduate school life will be markedly less stressful, therefore my knitting will be less tight.)

These factors combined, of course, led to the smallest hat ever intended for an adult man.

So, tonight I frogged the hat. And I'm arguing with myself about knitting a gauge swatch. I really don't want to, but I know I should, especially after how badly my last Kasimiya no boushi attempt went. Okay, I'll do it...may as well get in the habit. It looks like with a DK weight, it calls for 23 stitches and 32 rows to a 4" swatch. I'll knit that much at least since it should give me a bigger than 4" swatch. Also, in converting the centimeters to inches, I realized this hat measure 50 centimeters, which is about 20 inches. DB's head is about 22 inches in circumference. So, 20 inches of ribbing should have enough stretch to it. I hope I can tell with the swatch. Here goes....

Well. I got about 10 rows into my 30 stitch swatch and got distracted. I just bought the Woodland Trails Cowl which is really nifty and also works as a hat and wimple. I want it to match my Valentine Mitts and I'm trying to work out if I have enough yarn since I probably have 165 yards, maybe more, of the Knit Picks Wool of the Andes. Also, which size needles to use. This is really too much math and research for a cold Monday night. But, I'm looking forward to starting the pattern, once I finish the swatch for the neverending hat. Seriously, too much math for one night. Off to bed!

*Japanese: Frog, frog, frog. To go with the pattern, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment