Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Speed Knitting?

Can I knit a baby blanket in a month? Let's hope so....


I finished the knitting on the cabled bag, but I've been putting off the sewing part. I need a new needle for the sewing machine. And...I've never been too good with sewing. I can do buttons and that sort of thing, but I am a little terrified of the sewing machine. So the knitted part of the bag awaits. It's pretty and soft though! I added two more rounds of the cable pattern to make the bag a bit bigger and closer to the measurements given in the pattern. I don't think I knitted too tightly, but I did use smaller needles. I think it worked out. I know the sewing part will be easy once I get going - just straight lines - but between having to go out to buy a new needle, figure out how to use the thing and so on, I'm not feeling too inclined to do it right away.

I started the baby blanket, with the pattern from Knitting To Go, the Lozenge-Look Baby Blanket. I'm calling it Lemon Drop since I'm knitting with a pale yellow yarn. I had originally been planning on a different pattern and when I bought the yarn, I bought needles for that pattern, not the Lozenge-Look one. I do have size 7 circulars, but they are only 16 inches. And they are bendy, sticky plastic. I have only cast on and knitted about halfway into the first row. Also added to my list: metal needles, size 7, 29 inches.

The baby, DB's future niece, is due at the end of May. I hope I can finish by then. I've been looking at patterns for me and it's hard knowing they will have to wait a bit. I found a pretty wrap-look dress that I'm trying to figure out how to add longer sleeves to....a few sundresses....sweaters....and I'm even thinking about learning how to knit socks!

My overwhelm in life is showing in my knitting ideation....Here's where things are: DB got into a school in Missoula, Montana. I was feeling quite on board with this until it was final and then the distance part really hit me. I really wanted to be nearer to my family and friends and start establishing a career out here. However, somewhere along the road this year, he and I did start talking a lot about moving back to San Francisco. So I'm already in the direction of moving eventually. It's just so soon. I may stay around here until after a friend's wedding in November, to give me more transition time. But then I will be away from DB and I'm feeling like that will be really hard. He is home for me now....so I have some figuring out to do and goodbyes and whatnot. Of course it's getting to be termination time at work, so that just adds a whole other layer to all this.

Off to sleep. I'm presenting at case conference tomorrow and will need to be on my toes for that and the rest of my day. At least yoga is at the end of that. Between the yoga, DB and my good colleagues, I don't know where I'd be right now, things have been so hard. Hopefully the knitting will also help!

No comments:

Post a Comment