Sunday, April 4, 2010

Long time, no write

Things have been a little crazy lately, so I haven't had much free time, knitting time, or blogging time.

Lots of not-so-great things going on and I think maybe hardest of all is that DB and I are still waiting to see what will happen for next year. He got into school in a couple of places, but we are still waiting on one more which should notify this week. Likewise, my postdoc should notify this week, too.

The problem is, I am behind on data collection for my dissertation and it would take a lot to pull off finishing the dissertation to graduate in August. Ugh. So even if I get it, I might not be able to accept it. If that is the case (or if I don't get it at all), I'll be following DB wherever he goes, more or less. I might have to stay in the area for a bit to finish data collection, but ideally, I will finish that this spring either way. It is exciting, but also scary not knowing where we will live next year!

Knitting-wise, I finally, finally, cast on for the Woodland Trails Cowl. I'm kind of in love with the pattern....it is turning out so lovely, even in its unblocked, sort of bumpy, funny form. I'm knitting it in Knit Picks Yarn of the Andes (colorway: Iris Heather), the same yarn I used for my Valentine Mitts. Pretty, pretty, pretty!

I was concerned at first that the yarn is a worsted, not aran. It's not a huge difference, but with my wacky gauge issues, I hesitated a lot before finally casting on. I'm using size 9 circular needles and at first I thought my gauge was too small, then too big, but then I realized it was just right. A Goldilocks moment. I was fortunately able to ask a fellow Raveler about her choice in needle size for a similar yarn and that helped as well.

I've also been plugging away at DB's cashmere hat. It's getting bigger and does appear to be big enough to fit his head this time. I'm not as motivated to keep going at a good clip on this one because it is a dull pattern and it is out of season for him to wear anyway....but I'll keep it going slowly anyway in case I need something different to do.

Next on my agenda is a baby blanket. Actually, first, I want to do a purse. Or both, at the same time.

The baby blanket is for DB's brother and sister-in-law, or rather, their daughter due at the end of May. I found a pretty pattern in Knitting to Go (picked up in the Border's bargain section) for a "Lozenge-Look Baby Blanket." I'm going to do it in a yellow cotton worsted. I wanted a natural fiber that could be machine washed and dried and Bernat's Handicraftier is it.

For the purse - and I actually do need want a new purse - I'm going with the Christine Bag pattern. I'm using Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick in Linen. I'd like something neutral that will go with just about everything, but I can jazz it up with a ribbon or a purse charm or something as I decide. I thought about using a purse charm while I was at Jo-Ann Fabrics the other day, but I had no concrete plan of what I needed, so it turned into me wandering the jewelry aisles aimlessly, back and forth, for a good hour. On top of the 90 minutes it had already taken me to pick a fabric to line the bag! And three hours later (add on the time spent looking at everything and ooooh I need needle case and project bag and....) I finally made it home. I realize I swore off chain craft stores, but Jo-Ann's seems to be in a different level than A.C.Moore or Michael's. I'm planning on making the nearly 40 minute drive in the future when I do need crafty stuff, instead of spending hours just being frustrated with the other two, as close as they are.

Anyway, that's where I am, knitting-wise. Otherwise, eh. Trying to be accepting of the not-knowing right now. It's hard. I did start taking hot yoga classes and that has been extremely helpful. This week I have a few appointments that will interfere with my classes, but I'm still hoping to make at least two. For now, I need to sleep. I'm starting a new testing rotation tomorrow, because, yes, I need more stress in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment