Monday, January 11, 2010

Lovely beribboned hat

Maybe I'm not the slowest knitter ever (this was done in a record - for me - 5 days, including finishing, sewing, etc.)....here's the Fawn Earflap Hat from Boutique Knits: 


Not bad! I did something funny with the casting on around the earflaps, but I worked it out so that the seed stitch pattern and decreases came out alright. Iffy on the yarn....it wasn't the most fun to work with (especially on bamboo needles...too much stick!) but I do like how it came out. I'm eyeing a cowl and an afghan (the latter as a gift probably) in the same yarn. I'll have to ask the hat recipient how it wears after a while. It's really soft and chunky and warm.

I'm ridiculous and went to the notions shop without my list, so I only got I think 4 feet of ribbon instead of 2 yards. Buuuuut it looks good. I used the clear nail polish thing to keep it from fraying, but if I use ribbon again I'll probably get that special product to prevent fray, whatever it is. Sewed the button on the outside of the hat instead of the inside as I assume recipient (it's still a surprise, at least until this weekend!) will most likely wear the flaps down.

If I didn't already have my cloche, earmuffs and the cashmere hat, I would so do one up for myself in a nice yellow, mmmm. But I need to stop. With the hats at least. I really want to do mitts for myself, either the ones out of Boutique Knits of course (time to get into colorwork!) or these cute ones I found on Ravelry. Annnnd I want to make this adorable dress to destash a bit. I've got to do something with the Classic Elite Star I bought for the ill-fated bikini....a baby dress for Kevin's niece, once she's born of course. Trying to decide if the newborn size or three-month-old is better. Due date is mid-May, so I'm thinking newborn so it can be summer wear, but three-month-old may last a while longer? Not sure....need to ask people who have had kids what is best! I suppose with a long sleeve tee and bloomers underneath it can last into the cooler months.

Also in the queue is the hot water bottle holder, a skirt, Calorimetry (because....there is some rule all knitters must do one? and I can always use more winter head wear) and more and more. I kind of just want to go on Knit Picks and buy the yarn for the mitts, hot water bottle holder and skirt so I can just go as soon as I'm ready. That would be a pricey venture though and probably I should just get the needles I need for the baby dress and stick with that. Oh and maybe yarn for the mitts because it is cold here! The thermostat lies...we set it on 64, because heat is too expensive and it all drafts out of the apartment anyway. But somehow it says "68." It hasn't been 68 since probably September.

Anyway....here's hoping mystery recipient likes her hat! If she poses with it, I'll try to get some pictures so you can see how it looks on.

No comments:

Post a Comment