Friday, January 21, 2011

the sun is peaking out...

Actually, it's not. Not here in Missoula. It's another gray, gray day, the hills barely covered with a dusting of snow. On top of that, I'm miserably sniffly with this cold, going on Day 5. Fortunately, I made it through my interview this morning with minimal sniffling and coughing. I applied at a temp agency in hopes of earning some extra cash before my postdoc starts. (I'm just assuming I get one. Because I will/must.)

But, my own sunshine project is coming along well:


I'm really enjoying the cabling...and even the new increases I've learned. This is a very well-written pattern and definitely worth paying for.


I saw another pattern on Ravelry I just fell in love with. I think I may change my mind about making a simple lace shawl with the Universal Star Light, and make this instead - shrug meets shawl. Innovative, practical, and lovely: Fits my criteria!


For now, though, I'm focusing on my Creature Comforts Cardi. I've considered starting the Craftsman Afghan, but I think this project is giving me plenty of variety for now....

Though I am so impatient to find and start a real colorwork project; if I had the right yarn on hand, I would definitely be working on that now too! But the budget is not allowing for more yarn right now...even a couple of teeny skeins for the William, It Was Really Nothing mittens. How perfect is that pattern for me? Not only is it a reference to the Smiths (yay!), but to the blue faience hippo at the Met! The hippo was my "symbol" during a sandplay course; I ended up writing a paper on hippos and took a trip to the Met especially to see this one, since a tiny reproduction of it was what I had chosen during the course as my first sandplay object....I now have my own repro - a magnetized version that comes apart in two halves that you can put on the fridge. And it only requires two teeny little skeins from Knit Picks. These mittens are in my near future. I can feel it. What a first colorwork project! (Okay, I do have a gift card I could use, but I with all my current stashed projects, I feel a little guilty even using that. When I do, this, this, and this will certainly be in my cart!)

Off to knit, drink tea, nurse the cold, and get into some good reading on my nook. Not a bad way to spend a gray, gray day.

No comments:

Post a Comment